Monday, December 16, 2013

Fat Girl Vs. The World

Once the decision was made to have Gastric Bypass,
I then had to inform my family and work.
  I have only told my immediate family, 
and everyone has been very supportive.
  As far as work goes, I’m lucky 
in that my immediate Supervisor 
had Gastric Bypass done years ago,
so she understands and is supportive and encouraging.

When I first told those at work my FORMER Supervisor,
asked why I was doing something so drastic.  
She said “your still young, why don’t you just diet and exercise?”
  I told her that I have, and this has been a 20yr long struggle with me.
She then proceeded to tell me how she has lost 34 pounds,
and although it has taken her a year, she is “getting there”.
She told me of the changes she has made at home cooking, etc.
(all of which I made long ago)
and how she got her whole family involved
(which I have done as well).
  I explained to her that my weight and health had gotten to a point,
that TWO doctors suggested the surgery,
and that when discussing with the doctors and my family,
we all felt it was what was the best thing for me.
I know that she meant well, and she was nice about it,
but the whole conversation was humiliating, and I felt
like I was having to DEFEND my decision.
It’s different talking with someone who 
understands and knows my journey,
than with those who don't really know me at all.

  My husband was furious when I told him about it,
but I told him, that this was something 
I will have to deal with for the rest of my life.
Those who have never struggled as much with weight issues
as the morbidly obese do, just don’t understand.
So many people out there have such strong 
adverse opinions on weight loss surgery.
They think it is an easy out.
I would love for them to actually read about the procedure
and see just how far from EASY it is.

 I know that no matter how healthy I eat or
how much I exercise, 
and no matter how hard the struggle is,
there will always be those out there
that will credit it all to the surgery.
The surgery is not a cure all, or an easy fix.
We don’t get the surgery so that we can eat 
whatever we want or as much as we want.
Quite the opposite.

One of the side effects that most people
 have from the surgery, is that they can no longer 
tolerate sugar or fattening foods.
  We HAVE to eat healthy or we could possibly get sick.
The surgery is just a tool. We have to put forth the work.
We have to make healthy eating choices.
We have to exercise and make sure we get in
our water, protein and vitamins.

  Imagine for a moment, never being able to eat Birthday
 cake on your child’s Birthday.
  Never being able to sit down to a large dinner,
or eat all the foods and sweets you grew up 
with at Thanksgiving.
Not just for a few months or a year 
while you are on your “diet”,
but for LIFE.

  It is a sacrifice that we have to be willing to make.
And I decided that my life is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment