Thursday, July 8, 2010

Feel The Burn!!

Today I took the kids swimming at my mom's and my 13 year old and I "ran" laps around the pool. My legs and butt were BURNING! I'm sure I will be sore tomorrow. In addition to "running" laps around the pool, I also did a few swimming laps alternating between concentrating on using my legs and then my arms.

In the pool I can work past the initial burn. Why can't I do that at other times?



Maybe it's because I love swimming, and being in the water, I don't get hot. I have never been the "outdoor" type. I really wish we had a pool in our backyard. I would be in there everyday. We plan on getting one, but it will probably be next year before we are able to.

Before we went swimming I did help my husband outside in the yard a little. We moved over the dog pen towards the back of the property, then I helped him load a big tub full of the the dried dirt he had dug up over the weekend, and helped carry the tub over to be distributed elsewhere on the property. While it wasn't much, I did work up a pretty good sweat.

Of course, just walking outside in this heat and humidity, works up a sweat. But all though I did not do much and hated every minute of it while doing it......... it did feel good afterwards to have done some yard work. I can totally understand why my mom loves gardening so much. I look forward to getting our landscaping work started.

Last Sunday I actually got outside and mowed some. I started off feeling great.....I had been telling myself for awhile I needed to get out there and push the mower around, as it would be good exercise for me. I was not counting, however, on how HOT it was and how OUT OF SHAPE I am! I went for as long as I could, but then had to sit and take a break. My legs felt weak and my chest was beginning to hurt. I sat for a while catching my breath, and then went back out to mow some more. I did one less lap before having to stop to rest again. That time I grabbed some water, then went back out, and did 2 laps before stopping.

By that time my 15 year old son came out and said it was his turn, he was taking over for me. He of course had no problems pushing the mower and got a whole lot more done a lot faster than I did. While mowing, I was very close to tears. I felt like I was having to really push myself just to get done what little bit I did. But...... I will be back out there soon to try again. One day, if I persist, I will be able finish.

I have found that when doing something that I don't enjoy, I work much better when I have an attainable goal to work towards. When I mow I designate a small section and tell myself as soon as that section is done I can take a break. And right now, those sections are very small. I am just way too out of shape right now. But I know the more often I get out and DO it, the more I will be able to do at a time. Having something to work towards, where you can see the results of your hard work, really helps me.
My weight loss goals reflect this. I am starting out with very small "quick result" goals.

All in all, lately I have felt good about the amount of "work" I have been doing. I am seriously considering ordering an exercise video through Amazon. I saw one that does Latin type dances. I think I would do much better with a "dance" then the typical "aerobics".

Now if I could just stay out of the ice-cream.........

No comments:

Post a Comment