Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Runner I Am Not..... yet.


Last night I went for a walk.
I came SO close to backing out....
my usual walking buddy was not 
going to make it so I would be alone...
in the dark at the high school track.
AND I was in the middle of a cute
Christmas Show on T.V.

But I made myself go and I am
SO GLAD I did!

I didn't stay long, just 40-45 minutes...
But I got in two miles.
4 Laps around is a mile, so I 
walked laps 1-3, jogged lap 4,
walked laps 5-7, and jogged
most of lap 8.

This may not seem like much
to a seasoned runner, or someone
in shape, but this was awesome for me!
I WANT to be a runner.....
I see people on TV and at the gym
running on their treadmills, bodies
all toned, and I think to myself, 
if I could just start running 
I could tone my body as I lose.

But I'm not a runner.
Far from it.
 
The first time I tried running
earlier this year, it was pathetic.
I could only go for a VERY SHORT
distance, and everything was flopping
around making slapping noises...

Very embarrassing.....

But I kept at it. 
I would walk most of my laps
and each time I tried to run I 
would try to make myself go 
just a little bit further.....
dreaming of the day I could 
actually go a full lap without stopping.

Well......... last night 
I DID IT!!!!

It felt SOOOOO good!
And while I LOVE walking
with my friend and really
look forward to it,
after last night I must admit
I REALLY like doing it alone.

It was just me, my music, and my thoughts.
The night was cool, it was dark, the stars 
were out, and it was just nice to have that 
quiet time to reflect. 

The music kept me from focusing
on my walking and running....
so that when I was running instead of
constantly thinking 
HOW MUCH FARTHER...
I had gone half a lap without 
realizing it.  It wasn't till the end
that I started to really feel it, 
but I was so close I Pushed myself 
to make it.

After I was done, 
I was hot, out of breath, tired...
and my chest hurt from sucking in 
all that cold air
But I felt
AMAZING!!!!!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment